This practical summer course provides 4 weeks of knowledge, successful practices, field trips and case studies
This course contains several field trips in Bali in order to learn more about the Mangroves.
A well structured block of lectures held at Udayana university will provide you with expertise and prepare you for your research expeditions.
5 Credit Points
Within this summer course you can achieve up to 5 ECTS credit points awarded by the Udayana University in Bali.
Summer School: Mangrove Ecology
Indonesia is the country with the largest mangrove forests worldwide. This immersive 4-week summer course will give you the unique chance to get access to this ecosystem on the island of Bali. A powerful block of professional training will provide you with specific knowledge about the mangrove ecosystem, while field trips and scientific excursions will help you understand the biological complexity and importance of mangroves in Bali. This unique hands-on approach offers you the opportunity to conduct research in the field setting and collect data in order to support and promote effective mangrove restoration practices.
- Understand the role of the Mangrove ecosystem and its threats.
- Identify the development of ecotourism in a mangrove forest.
- Apply the theoretical knowledge through a variety of case studies.
- Learn and reflect about problems and successful management of mangrove forest through field trips.
- Introduction to mangrove: the definition, distribution, function, etc
- Mangrove species and diversity Fauna in mangrove ecosystems (fish, crabs, etc)
- Products made of mangroves. Mangrove, climate change and natural disaster
- Challenges in mangrove conservation Macro-zoobenthic fauna: bioindicators in mangrove ecosystem
- Business development in mangrove forested areas & mangrove ecotourism
- Sustainable use of mangrove ecosystem
- Mangrove Information Center Bali
- Several Mangrove projects, involving the local community
- Bali Barat National Park
- Excursion to the mangroves in Nusa Lembongan or Bali (depending on weather conditions)
Your classroom | the Mangroves in and around Bali
The mangrove environment is a natural powerhouse creating and conserving resources for a healthy marine and coastal ecosystem. It is a natural water filter purifying the rivers rising from the north mountains before they make their way into the sea. It is an air filter storing the highest densities of carbon. It is a nursery for so diverse marine and on land communities, creates habitats for numerous organisms. Mangroves are critical for maintaining the marine biodiversity and thus directly and indirectly benefit human wellbeing. The mangroves in Bali are said to decline by 50% each year due to tourism waste and landfills. We believe that with this summer course we don’t only gain more scientific data, which will eventually help in decision-making on scientific and political levels. Moreover, it helps us and the local communities to raise awareness among young professionals like you.