This practical summer course provides 4 weeks of knowledge, successful practices, field trips and case studies
For a better understanding the lecturers will be complemented with several site visits..
All lectures will take place at the Denpasar Campus of Udayana University Bali.
6 Credit Points
Within this summer course you can achieve up to 6 ECTS credit points awarded by Udayana University in Bali.
Short course program: Intercultural Communication
This 4 weeks course offers a comprehensive knowledge on intercultural communications. It is designed to study social attributes, thought pattern and culture of different groups of people, which will lead participants not only to theoretically understand and value cultural differences but also to having skills of intercultural communications. Identity and culture are also studied within the discipline of communication to analyze how globalization influences ways of thinking, beliefs, values and identity within and between cultural environments.
Study fees EUR 2,390
Included: tuition, field trips,
accommodation, transportation, etc.
- To comprehend the intercultural communications skills
- To understand and value cultural differences within the society
- To comprehend globalization as a historical process and its aspects
- To comprehend the concepts of social change and understand it theoretically
- To introduce the issues of social changes in Bali as the impacts of globalization
- To understand the local perspectives in seeing the issues and conflicts arising from social changes
- To develop the competency to manage the issues of social changes in Bali from wider perspectives
- To develop understanding of public use of communal space
- To study and discussed many aspects of Bali’s conflict management and how Balinese facing the dynamic conditions came from globalization that also bought many different values on it.
- To discuss ecological distribution conflict, i.e., socio-environmental conflict which arises from uneven distribution of the benefit and cost of environmental change using the Benoa Bay conflict as a case study
Communal Space and case study (Gogibung)
Globalization, Tourism and Social Change
Intercultural Communications skill; understanding culture with mindfulness, verbal and non verbal communications and case study (Lontar Preservation)
Language Course - Bahasa Indonesia
Political Ecology (Conflict Management)
Tenganan Village (2 days 1 night) (Communal Space subject)
Bali Aga Trekking (Communal Space subject)
Lontar Museum (Lontar Preservation study)
Benoa Bay (Political Ecology)
Your classroom | the Balinese community
Intercultural Communicaton as well as Conflict Management are two very important topics in Bali where people from many different cultural, religious, social and ethnical backgrounds live together. Therefore this course will include a series of activities and trips during which you will be able to observe a wide range of communication processes and daily challenges that appear within such a society. Main focus will be on the question how problems and conflicts appear from the cross-cultural interaction and how the people in Bali can deal with these conflicts.
Using the Benoa Bay conflict as a case study, students will be invited to apply the theoretical framework to critically analyze and discuss the most polarizing issue in Bali lately.
Tenganan Pegringsingan Village
One of the oldest villages in Bali, is very special in terms of cultural heritage as it is almost free from any outside influence. The villagers are trying to keep their Village pure and clean. Students are scheduled to stay for 2 days in the village to participate in the village's cultural activities and to observe.
Aga Village Trekking
The Bali Aga Trek will allow students to experience the simple lifestyle and meet the characters of the Balinese countryside. This excursions happen on the same period as the Communal Space course subject.